Saturday, April 14, 2007

Dion and May spit in the faces of voters

This is my first post, on my first blog. I have been cruising the blogs since the last election, leaving the occasional comment, but nothing has inspired me to start my own. Until now.

I admit it; I'm a political junkie. People often ask me why I bother. After all, there is little I can do to affect change in our political system. Protests are ignored. Petitions are rejected. Look at the seal hunt, or Canadian farmers, or Ontario teachers; the list is endless.

I tell them that politicians get away with so much because we do not pay attention. Because, ultimately, the one place we can make them listen is at the ballet box. That's right, every Canadian gets to vote for whatever party represents their views. They may vote Conservative, Liberal, NDP, Communist, Green, for the Animal Protection Party... it doesn't matter. This is where we make our voices heard. Every candidate must face our questions during that election. This is where the politicians answer to us.

(Ideally, each riding would get to nominate their own candidate to represent them, but one rant at a time.)

If the people in Central Nova really wanted Elizabeth May in parliament, they could vote for her. She will be there to express her views. If they don't, it won't happen. That's democracy. She gets her shot just like everybody else.

But apparently "just like everybody else" is not good enough for Elizabeth May and Stephane Dion. It seems the system is too unfair and/or we're too stupid to vote they way they think we should. So they're going to skew the sytem; Dion is going to pull his candidate in Central Nova, and May is going to endorse him for Prime Minister of Canada. She is also going to pull her candidate in Dion's riding, creating the same issue there.

Ignoring the fact that this move violates the Constitution of the Liberal Party of Canada, let's look at the loyal Liberals of Central Nova. Despite being told that their vote doesn't matter in their riding (Conservatives won it with the NDP in second) they got to stand up on election day and proclaim their beliefs. They have a candidate to support their views. They may not win, but they get to be heard and lose fairly. Now, they get no one. They are being told that they are not important enough to be represented by a Liberal, but instead they can have a pro-life anti-SSM, anti-NAFTA, anti-WTO activist parachuted in... from another party.

It must be hard to be a Liberal in Nova Centre. I know how they feel - until two months ago I was a Conservative in Toronto Centre. During the election, I got to listen to Lewis Reford stand up for my views at the candidates debates, taking all the criticism I took on a daily basis. He came to my door and we talked about political issues. I knew there was someone to represent me.

The Liberals in Nova Centre have been abandoned. Bloggers everywhere may be looking at the strategic implications of this move, but personally, all I see is one political opportunist who abandoned a riding for a personal endorsement, and another who abandoned her principles and party for a slightly better chance at a seat in the House of Commons.